You’ve made the decision to add a swimming pool or spa to create your own backyard oasis, congratulations! In addition to deciding on the design elements of your new pool or spa, there are also laws required by the state of Nevada that must be met. But don’t worry, we have you covered. Our professional staff will help you make your new swimming pool in the Reno, Nevada area safe and beautiful.
In order to keep everyone safe around a pool or spa, there are several safety requirements in Nevada. These requirements cover both in-ground and above ground pools, spas, and hot tubs and they must include:
- A barrier at least 48 inches above the finished ground level that is measured on the side of the barrier that faces away from the pool.
- There can’t be any openings in the barrier large enough to allow a 4-inch diameter sphere to pass through it. There can’t be any indentations or protrusions except for the normal construction tolerances and masonry joints.
- The spacing between the vertical slats in the barrier must be no more than 1-3/4 inches wide. This includes decorative cutouts as well.
- The maximum mesh size for chain link fences is 1-1/4 inch square.
- All access gates must comply with the same requirements as the barriers and must include a door that opens away from the pool and have a self-latching device located on the pool side of the gate at least three inches below the top of the gate. There can’t be more than a 1/2 inch opening between the gate and the fence.
- If the wall of a dwelling unit is part of the barrier and includes a door, a sensor must be installed on the door and screen that emits a sound when the door is opened. The alarm should sound different than other household sounds.
- All pools must have a power safety cover that when closed can hold at least 485 pounds of weight.
Although there are quite a few regulations for Nevada pool and spa owners, we are here to help you make sure your new pool is safe and secure. Contact us and we can help you get started designing the pool or spa of your dreams.